Thursday, August 23, 2012

It has been something that has been pestering me all summer, something that I even heard of on the first day of school yesterday when Dr.Christopher encouraged us to 'do our best', and then again today in chapel when President Milioni said the same. If it is something I have been faced with two times in a row, then I guarantee it is something I should pay attention to.
I have been faced with the question, "Are you giving God your best?" If I just give a surfaced-level answer I can say "Yes because I spend time in the Word, I pray, I love to tell others about Christ, I pay attention in school, I serve in ministry at my church, I do this I do that." But if I dig a little deeper, I find out that 'my best' is really not 'my best'.

1 Timothy 4:12 "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." (I'm going to use www.blueletterbible.com to disect what each word means).
     -In word: Of speech. Are the things I let roll off my tongue God honoring?
     -In conversation: Manner of life, conduct, behavior. Is my daily life relfecting my Lord and Savior even 
       when no one is looking?
     -In charity: Affection, good will, love. Am I reaching out to people and loving people like Christ does
       even when they despise me?
     -In spirit: A part of the Trinity. Am I being obedient to the Holy Spirit?
     -In faith: To trust, have confidence. Am I trusting that the Lord has a better plan?
     -In purity: Sinlessness of life. Am I striving to rid out the sin in my life?

So when I disect these words, I realize that I am failing these characteristics of what my life should look like in order to 'Live my best".

I was doing my devotions tonight from Mark 14. I was reading about how Mary gave her best to Christ when she poured her ointment on His head. I began to felt convicted reading about her because she GAVE HER BEST to Christ. This ointment she poured on Him was a very expensive ointment and according to the studying I have done on it, this ointment was worth as much as 10 asses back in those days, and it was about a years worth of wages which means that it took a long time to make. One thing I adore about this woman Mary is she brought Him her best work, and even though she was criticized, she didn't say a word! She just knew that the only One she had to please was Christ.

So today marks a day that I am going to strive to give my Lord my best! I will give my best committment, service, love, attitude, academics and much much more!
When I get to heaven, I want to hear Him say to me, "Well done thy good and faithful servant." I won't hear those words if I am not being faithful today. Let it be an encouragement to you that God gave His best to die on a cross for our sins, so in return as a thank you, we should live our bests.

In Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment